How To Divorce Your Wife
Secondary MENU

Can You File For a Divorce Without a Lawyer?

As you already know, a divorce can get pretty costly. Aside from the possible alimony, there are also the lawyers costs for you to consider. But can you file for a divorce without a lawyer?

It's a little risky having no legal counsel on your side, but it's entirely possible to do so.

Before you do anything else, ask a real lawyer or a paralegal about divorce laws in your jurisdiction. These laws vary from area to area. But for the earlier question - can you file for a divorce without a lawyer? - There really shouldn't be any variation.

You should be able to file for a divorce by yourself, something that's known as pro se.

Pay a visit to your county court house and ask for the papers necessary to file for a divorce yourself. Be prepared with some money, as almost all areas ask for a payment of about $100 at this point.

Fill out the forms and have them notarized. It's a good idea to contact your ex beforehand because many areas require both of you to sign the form in front of a notary public.

Some states, however, just require you to deliver the papers to the county court house and they will inform your ex. If there are any custody or ownership issues to be settled, you have to file a motion with the court for each one of them as well.

Can you file for a divorce without a lawyer and still get some stuff for yourself? You most definitely can, but you'll have to do the paperwork and case preparations yourself.

Once you've filed the papers, some courts will have a third part meet with you and your ex together to try and settle issues peacefully. If there are still some things unresolved at the end of that meeting, only then will the court announce a date for a hearing.

So, can you file for a divorce without a lawyer? Yes, it's possible just be ready to do all of the legwork on your own.

Before you go out and file anything, it's really a good idea to consult the local library or court house for the nitty-gritty of divorce proceedings in your area.